Back to Main

Baby Strangled By Crib Parents Bought At Garage Sale

Stored under In the News on November 14, 2005 at 12:51 PM

Its a thought that may not cross the mind of many of the average garage sale shoppers, and that is safety. An unfortunate situation last month where a baby girl was strangled to death after her parents had in her a crib that they purchased at a garage sale. While the crib appeared new, the detectives discovered a small crack in the wood which allowed her head to slip through.

These types of stories, while unfortunate, hopefully help people understand that they need inspect their purchases, especially baby items. Its a fact of life that some items that are being sold, have been recalled and the sellers simply don't know so. Any baby item should be inspected through the Recalls.gov website.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has the following guidelines to determine if an old crib is safe to use:


  • The mattress should be firm and tight-fitting. You should not be able to fit two fingers side by side between the mattress and the side of the crib.
  • There should be no missing or broken hardware or slats.
  • Slats should be no more than 2 3/8 inches apart (about the width of a soda can).
  • Corner posts should not be higher than 1/16 inch above the headboard and foot board. If longer, a baby's clothing could catch on the post and strangle the baby.
  • There should be no design cutouts in the headboard or foot board.

Read more

Comments

Write a comment










Remember personal info?




Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007 WebGoonies
Hosting By: Whaddu.com

Resources Blog Top Sites